Leadership Giving FacilitatorCompany: Nova Scotia Nature Trust
Date Posted: June 2, 2017
Description of Position
Seeking a rewarding senior philanthropic role with a dynamic, charismatic charity, cherished by its supporters and partners? An organization with a positive, uplifting, and good news mandate? Join a passionate team whose mission is to protect Nova Scotia’s most special places, from towering old growth forests and pristine coastal wilderness, to habitat for endangered wildlife. The Nova Scotia Nature Trust protects and stewards these special places for future generations, in partnership with landowners, local communities and enthusiastic volunteers all across the province. We provide opportunities for people to explore, experience and learn about the natural world and to take action in caring for our treasured natural legacy.
Our charity has experienced unprecedented conservation success, profile and public support in recent years and we are poised for significant and exciting days ahead. We have created a new leadership position within our philanthropic program, to build upon this tremendous momentum and to help ensure a sustainable future for our organization.
Our new Leadership Giving Facilitator will be responsible for planning and implementing the leadership giving elements of our philanthropic program, with a focus on major gifts, planned giving and partnerships. The Facilitator will work closely and cooperatively with other team members focused on special events and activities, grants, our annual campaign and public relations/communications.
The successful candidate is truly passionate about our cause and inspires a spirit and culture of philanthropy throughout our organization, programs and our community. You are above all else a communicator and relationship-builder who can find common ground that engages donors, partners and stakeholders in meaningful and rewarding ways in our mission, and who inspires impactful philanthropy.
You are equally comfortable at a kitchen table helping a longtime supporter fulfil her dream of leaving a legacy through planned giving, or presenting a highly strategic cause-marketing pitch to a large corporate partner. You are accomplished in bringing in new donors, and moving donors to greater levels of commitment and engagement, and successful in making fundraising asks at all levels ($1k to $500k). You know the philanthropic and business communities well, have exceptional fundraising research skills and success in building and facilitating strategic fundraising approaches/asks. You are also gifted in and enjoy encouraging, supporting and empowering fund development volunteers.
You are an enthusiastic, results-oriented professional with a proven track record in developing and implementing effective fundraising plans and meeting (or exceeding) revenue targets. You are highly organized, detail-oriented and keep excellent records. You love to learn and grow and thrive in a dynamic, challenging environment.
- Oversee and deliver a comprehensive leadership giving program
- Set and meet (or exceed) annual fund development targets
- Plan and implement successful planned giving, major gift and corporate partnership programs
- Cultivate, steward and manage relationships with leadership donors, partners and stakeholders, including ongoing communication and engagement
- Recruit, train, support, manage, motivate, evaluate and recognize fund development volunteers including fund development committees and teams
- Provide philanthropic guidance and expertise to the organization
- Develop and implement strategic fund development plans and annual plans
- Keep the organization current in relevant philanthropic trends, opportunities and best practices
- Develop and implement fund development and donor stewardship policies and procedures
- Support and work cooperatively with staff implementing the annual campaign, grant-seeking, special events and activities, and public relations/communications
The position is a senior position and will be of interest to an individual with some or all of the following professional and personal attributes:
- Minimum ten years experience in fund development, preferably in major gifts and planned giving (or related field with directly transferrable skills and experience)
- University or College degree in fund development, public relations or related field
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrated track record in setting and achieving fund development targets (>$200K/yr)
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of effective major gift and planned giving fund development strategies and process, donor motivation and engagement, philanthropic trends and best practices
- Superior fundraising research skills
- Strong track record in building and facilitating strategic and successful fundraising approaches for prospects and donors (individual and corporate)
- The ability to understand our donors well, and to find powerful ways to bring together donors and opportunities, in inspiring, meaningful and impactful ways.
- Knowledge of and experience with the major gifts process and programs (or relevant, directly applicable experience and knowledge)
- Experienced in moves management; prospect identification, qualification, strategy and cultivation; major gift asks; donor stewardship, engagement, cultivation, recognition
- Good knowledge of and connections within the philanthropic community
- Knowledge of and experience with planned giving (or relevant, directly applicable experience and knowledge)
- Experience working with donors to educate, encourage and support planned giving
- Advanced knowledge of planned giving tools, tax and legal aspects of planned giving (such as annuities, trusts, RRSPs, life insurance, various types of bequests etc.)
- Experience working effectively with financial and estate planning advisors to foster planned giving (lawyers, financial planners)
- Knowledge of and experience with corporate partnerships (sponsorships and charitable giving) or relevant, directly applicable experience and knowledge
- Track record in identifying, planning, building and sustaining effective, strategic corporate partnerships including cause-marketing, sponsorships and charitable giving
- Good knowledge of and connections within the corporate/business community
- Demonstrated success in working effectively with senior fundraising volunteers and committees
- Experience in volunteer identification, recruitment, training, motivation/empowerment, support, management, recognition and appreciation
- Experience supporting and managing fundraising teams and committees
- Experience in creating and implementing policies and procedures related to leadership giving programs (gift acceptance, gift recognition, tax receipting etc.)
- Experience managing a complex, multi-faceted fundraising program and keeping many philanthropic activities and initiatives moving forward at the same time
- Strong marketing skills/able to engage a diversity of prospective donors/ sponsors
Other Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and communicate with a variety of audiences, including donors, volunteers, committees, senior management and corporate partners
- Highly effective public speaking and presentation skills, with proven results
- Strong writing skills, particularly creating engaging, effective donor communications materials and resources
- Effective management abilities (managing programs and managing people and teams)
- Excellent organizational, systems management, analytical, computer and administrative skills
- Experience with not-for-profit organizations
- Understanding of and passion for the mission of the Nature Trust
- Enthusiasm and a positive, engaging approach
- Ability to put people at ease, to build trust with prospects, donors, volunteers and other stakeholders
- Resourcefulness and creativity
- Ability to inspire donors, volunteers, staff team, media, partners
- Strong sense of drive, ambition and ability to take initiative and see ideas/projects/initiatives through to completion
- Highly organized with attention to detail, accuracy and thorough record-keeping
- A strategic thinker who is able to prioritize well and maximize impact
Other Desirable Assets/Attributes
- Certified Fundraising Executive designation; Membership with the Association of Fundraising Professionals; &/or Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Experience using Raisers’ Edge donor management software (high degree of understanding of the program, tracking fundraising actions and information, creating reports, using and analyzing data strategically)
- Experience with capital campaign fundraising
- Experience with and comfort in using websites, social media and spreadsheets in fund development context, and generally high comfort level with computers and technology
- Experience in marketing, communications, public relations and media relations (including social media)
- Experience and comfort with media as a spokesperson and ambassador
Our ideal candidate ~ You love the cause and you love what you do. You excel at facilitating philanthropy, finding powerful ways to bring together donors and opportunities, in inspiring, meaningful and impactful ways.
The position will involve travel throughout the province and both evening and weekend work. It will also involve some ‘field’ travel involving visiting Nature Trust protected areas, travelling by boat, hiking or paddling. The candidate must have a valid driver’s license.
Commensurate with experience. We offer health benefits, retirement savings benefits and potential for flex-time.
Please send cover letter, resume and list of 3 references to:
Christina Nunn, Office and Volunteer Coordinator
Nova Scotia Nature Trust
PO Box 284 Station Main, Dartmouth, NS B2Y 3Y3
As soon as possible. The search committee will begin to consider potential candidates immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Due to the anticipated volume of applications, we will only be contacting shortlisted candidates. We do greatly appreciate your interest in the work of the Nature Trust! We encourage you to explore our volunteer program as we have many opportunities you might enjoy.